Mandarin and tangerine peels have been used in Chinese medicine for centuries.
They are added to medicines and recipes for their properties in:
• Stopping cough
• Dissolving phlegm
• Stopping vomiting and diarrhoea (minor effect)
As mandarins come into season, and coughs start spreading through the community, this can be a great and easy “food-medicine” to get back to good health. It’s also a yummy snack to have warm.
Grilling the mandarins will release some of the oils in the citrus peel into the fruit. This way, you can eat the fruit and benefit from the phenolic compounds found in the peel.
Grilled Mandarins for Chesty Cough in 3 simple steps:
1. Grill mandarins over a naked flame for 2-5 minutes
2. Allow to cool for 5 minutes
3. Peel and eat the fruit
Research has shown that citrus oils contain phenolic compounds that:
• Reduce blood triglyceride levels (great for managing diabetes)
• Reduce total blood cholesterol levels (great for heart disease)
• Contain antioxidants (to fight cancer causing damage)
• Contain a wide range of other functions that can be anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-viral.
Written by Dr. Elaine Hickman
Elaine has trained and worked in various settings, both in Australia and China. She has over 20 years experience in treating many health problems. Elaine loves to provide a health care experience for people that is respectful, effective, empowering and enjoyable. Elaine has particular expertise in Gynaecology, Fertility, Obstetrics, Family Medicine, Wellness promotion and Mental Health.