PIE!!!!! This SUGAR FREE DOUBLE CRUST APPLE PIE is so tasty that you won’t be able to stop at just one piece!
Recipe by Maria England
- Spelt Pie Dough
- 1lb 5oz (600g) White Spelt Flour
- 0.2oz (4g) Salt
- 10.50oz (300g) Unsalted butter (cubed and chilled)
- 9.6oz (280ml) Cold Water
- 0.6oz (16g) Cinnamon
- 3oz (90g) Natvia
- 7 ea. Medium Granny Smith Apple
- 1.3oz (38g) Bread Flour
- Egg Wash
- 1 ea. Eggs
- 0.5oz (20ml) Water
- Pie Dough: Mix the flour, salt, and unsalted butter together until pea size pieces of butter form.
- Add cold water and mix just until combined.
- Divide dough into two pieces and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes or leave in the fridge until needed.
- Filling and pie: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray or lightly grease pie pan with shortening.
- Mix all filling ingredients and adjust the cinnamon and Natvia to taste.
- Whisk together all ingredients of egg wash.
- Roll out each piece of pie dough to 1/8 of an inch thick. Place one piece into pie shell leaving
some dough over hanging on all sides.
- Place apple filling into center of pie shell leaving some space around the top edges and egg wash the top edges of bottom pie shell.
- Take other piece of rolled out pie dough and flour lightly. Fold into quarters and cut two slits into each side of the top of the triangle piece of dough. Do not connect the slits though.
- Unfold the quartered piece of pie dough and place onto the filled pie.
- Pinch overhanging sides together and trim and pinch pie sides.
- Egg wash the top of the pie and sprinkle with Natvia and Cinnamon if desired.
- Place into oven for 45-50 minutes until golden brown on top and bubbling. If using a clear pie pan you can check the bottom of the pie and make sure it is golden brown.
- Allow to cool. Pie can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour