A warm breakfast option for your tummy health.. & taste buds 🙂
Serves: 4 serves
1 cup buckwheat groats
2 cups water, plus extra to soak
1 cup milk of choice
2 apple, cored and chopped (skin left on is fine)
1-2 tsp cinnamon
½-1 tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp flax seed
⅓ cup ground sunflower seed
3-4 tbsp Natvia
2 tsp molasses (optional)
2 tbsp tahini
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 tbsp Natvia or to taste
¼ tsp vanilla extract
walnuts or seeds of choice
- Place buckwheat in a bowl or saucepan and cover with plenty of water. Leave to soak for at least 15 minutes. Drain and rinse well.
- Place soaked buckwheat in a saucepan with the 2 cups water, milk, flax, sunflower seed and apple. Bring to a boil over high heat then turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer the mix for around 15 minutes until the buckwheat is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, add more water or milk if it is getting too dry. Turn off heat.
- Stir through the tahini, stevia and molasses and add the mixed spice and cinnamon to taste.
- Either eat straight away or place in an airtight container and store in the fridge, reheat with extra milk when needed.
Serve with blueberry compote, a swirl of tahini and some extra seeds or walnuts for crunch.
- Blueberry compote:
Place the blueberries in a saucepan or microwave safe bowl and heat gently until warmed and starting to get juicy. Add the stevia and vanilla. Serve.
You won’t be able to find ground sunflower seed in the shops, to make your own simply place the sunflower seeds in a blender or food processor and process until it forms a meal. Alternatively you could use LSA or almond meal if you can eat nuts.