An effort, but delicious!
Serves 10 or more
3 ½ cups (875ml) chicken stock
1 small onion, chopped
1 ½ cups (300g) arborio rice
½ cup (125ml) dry white wine
1/3 cup (25g) grated parmesan, plus 1 tbsp extra
1 tbsp olive oil
60g button mushrooms, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
200g lean beef mince
¼ cup chopped parsley
1 cup (70g) fresh breadcrumbs
Rice bran oil, to deep fry
Tip: make bolognaise separately
1. Make risotto by heating chicken stock in saucepan, until simmering. Keep hot. Melt butter in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 mins, stirring until softened. Add rice and stir for 1 min, until translucent. Add wine & stir until evaporated.
2. Add 1 ladle of stock, stirring constantly, until absorbed. Repeat with remaining stock, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly for 15-20mins, until rice is cooked. Remove from heat & stir through parmesan and 1 lightly beaten egg. Season to taste. Spread rice onto a baking tray lined with baking paper to cool completely.
3. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a frying pan on high. Cook mushroom & garlic, stirring for 5 mins. Add mince and cook 5 mins, until brown and moisture evaporates. Stir in parsley, remaining egg and extra parmesan.
4. Divide cooled risotto mixture into 12 portions with wet hands, take 1 portion in your palm and make a small well in the centre. Place 1 tbsp of mince mixture in centre of rice. Fold over rice to enclose mixture and shape into a ball. Repeat with remaining rice portions and mince mixture. Roll balls in breadcrumbs and set aside.
5. Heat rice bran oil in a large saucepan on high until a cube of bread sizzles on contact. Deep fry rice balls in batches for 4 mins, turning, until golden. Drain on paper towel and serve immediately.