Both men and women can optimise their chances of conceiving by following a healthy eating regime that stocks up a range of important nutrients in the body.
It’s also important for both men and women to stop smoking and drinking before trying to conceive to give their bodies the best possible chance of producing healthy eggs and sperm and, of course, a healthy baby.
What about my diet? Eating a variety of wholefoods, fresh vegetables, healthy fats and protein is essential. If you or your partner need help quitting smoking or eating better, we can help. Do you need to supplement in pill form?
|Ask yourself these questions first:
There lies your answer.
The Bare Essentials: – Supplements recommended if you’re healthy, and below 35 years old
- Folic Acid. You can buy a 500mcg form of folic acid at your local chemist. $11 will give you a few months supply.
- Iodine. Is essential for healthy thyroid function. Which affects progesterone production in a woman. Which affects fertility. Australian soils are generally depleted of iodine. So unless you’re eating lots of seaweed, which most of us don’t, supplementing is a good idea.
- Vit D (if your levels have been low in the last 2 years).
- Iron (if your levels are currently low)
Extra Support: – recommended if you’ve had some fertility or menstrual issues
- Vit D. Even if your levels are within normal range. Vit D is what many of our hormones are made from. Healthy hormones mean healthier menstrual cycles mean better fertility.
- Zinc– benefits our immune system and improves egg AND sperm quality
- Vitamin C– benefits our immune system and improves egg AND sperm quality.
- Vitamin E– An antioxidant nutrient helpful for egg AND sperm quality. You can take Vit E in pill form or consume foods like almonds and sunflower seeds.
- B complex– helps our nervous system. Let’s face it, trying to conceive it stressful. Let’s give our nervous system a helping hand.
Optimal Support: – recommended if you or your partner are over 35 years old
- Co Q10 – Improves egg AND sperm quality
- Royal Jelly– Can improve egg AND sperm quality
What about him? If there is a him on the scene, his nutritional certainly counts. You will find conflicting opinions about this. But seriously, it takes a sperm and an egg to make a baby. The healthier both parents are, the healthier the sperm & eggs will be and the healthier baby will be made. This is putting it lightly. I could go on about epigenetics and what our nutritional status means for what genes (including those that carry inherited diseases) are switched on or switched off to pass to the next generation. But that’s a big conversation best left to another day. Join our blog here if you want in.
Let’s just say that the work you put into improving your health and nutritional status before you conceive, is worth it. Which means that ideally, we are working on preparing ourselves to conceive at least 3 months before even trying. Any self-respecting gardener knows that soil preparation and quality seed are the key ingredients for a healthy plant harvest. We would do well to prepare to bring human life into the world in a similar fashion.
We stock all the above supplements at Freedom Chinese Medicine in Ivanhoe. In high quality form. We also offer practitioners who hold exceptional knowledge & experience in helping people conceive. We’d be happy to help you, so feel free to contact if you have any questions or need extra help.
Dr Elaine Hickman
B.H.Sc.TCM (Acupuncture), Cert.Cl.Ac. (Beijing)
Elaine has trained and worked in various settings, both in Australia and China. She has over 20 years experience in treating many health problems. Elaine loves to provide a health care experience for people that is respectful, effective, empowering and enjoyable. Elaine’s acupuncture treatments are gentle, powerful, amazingly relaxing and incorporate Japanese & Chinese techniques, as well as Medical Qi Gong if appropriate. Elaine has a particular interest in Gynaecology, Fertility, Obstetrics, Family Medicine, Wellness promotion and Mental Health.
She runs a private practice in Ivanhoe and is the trusted family physician of many. Elaine is a registered Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). She completed a Bachelor of Health Science – TCM, specialising in Acupuncture, and a hospital internship in China in 1998. Elaine is the Principal Practitioner at Freedom Chinese Medicine, managing a dedicated team of practitioners & staff, and supervises many TCM students in clinical training. Elaine’s passion for Chinese Medicine has her regularly furthering her education, Qi Gong training and sharing knowledge.