Chicken congee is simple comfort food at its best. Top this congee with sesame oil, fried shallots and garlic to amp up the flavor.
|15 minutes To prep||70 minutes To cook||12 Ingredients||EASY Difficulty||Makes4|
- 1 litre Chicken Stock
- 500ml water
- 4 slices fresh young ginger
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 200g chicken tenderloin, diced into 1cm pieces
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine
- Salt and ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fried shallots (see note)
- 2 teaspoons fried garlic (see note)
- Soy sauce to serve
Bring the chicken stock, water and ginger to a boil in a large heavy based saucepan over a high heat. Add the rice and reduce the heat to medium–low. Simmer steadily for 1 hour, covered stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from catching until thickened and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Add the chicken to the congee, cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked. Add the rice wine to the congee and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve the congee in bowls, sprinkle with the green onion, drizzle with sesame oil and top with the fried shallots and garlic. Serve with soy sauce on the side.