Chinese Noodles with Baby Bok Choy (Chinese Cabbage)
500g fresh Chinese noodles or thin egg noodles
500g baby bok choy
¼ cup hoisin sauce
1 ½ tbsp soy sauce
1 ½ tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 ½ tablespoons peanut oil
3 cloves garlic, sliced
3 green spring onions, sliced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
¼ cup chicken/vegetable stock
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1. Cook the noodles in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Drain.
2. Remove the tough base of the bok choy. Cut one whole head in quarters lengthwise, and blanch for 1 minute; immerse immediately in ice water, drain and set aside. Slice the remaining bok choy crosswise. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine or sherry and sesame oil.
4. In a wok, heat the peanut oil until very hot but not smoking. Add the garlic, spring onions and ginger; stir-fry for another minute.
5. Add the hoisin mixture and stock to the wok, and stir until slightly thickened. Add the noodles, tossing to incorporate the sauce and bok choy. Heat through, transfer to a warm platter and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Nutritional breakdown per 1 cup serving:
2015 Kilojoules, 11g Protein, 52g Carbohydrates, 1g Fibre, 8g Total Fat, 55mg Cholesterol, 560mg Sodium, 3.6mg Iron, 2500IU Vitamin A, 35mg Vitamin C.